June 28, 2011

Sasquatch's flowers



I have been an embroidering fool these past few days and I am loving every minute of it!

I started this Sasquatch embroidery piece many months ago...maybe even a year ago...I don't even remember now. I have lately been in the mood to go back and finish little lonely projects that have been left for the dust bunnies! I have pulled old Sassy {aka Sasquatch} off the craft table...or should I say, out from under a heap of scrapbook paper...and picked up the needle and embroidery thread once again.

I know the basic embroidery stitches but, have been also learning some new ones. I am very excited as the new stitches are turning out very well.

Take a gander at what I've been working on.



What you see in the photo above is called "turkey work"...{the fuzzy part of the flower}. It's a series of many, many big loops that stand straight up. You then cut the loops, trim it to the height you like. Run your needle over the cut thread a few times and it fluffs up wonderfully. I wanted to create a dandelion and thought this to be a fantastic stitch to use. This was my first time at turkey work and I loved it. For the outer part of the flower, I used lazy daisy stitches. This was my first for that stitch as well.



In the photo above: This precious little flower...well, I don't quite know what it is, but I have seen something very similar in the grass. We used to pull the pink top part off when we were kids and they would fall apart into tiny little balls. {probably just a flowering grass} I used french knots for the pink part of the flower and am quite smitten with the results!!



And here is Sassy's name, all pimp-like, in gold metallic floss. That floss was a bit tricky to work with. I was surprised, I didn't realize that it had a tendency to untwist into a few very, very thin threads. Oh ya, and it knotted very easy while pulling through the fabric. I love the look of this metallic floss though...it's just one of those "slow and steady" things.

Well, that's all I'm going to show you for now. I will keep you updated on Sassy!

8 comments:

  1. I haven't embroidered in ages! It is a slow, tedious task, but well worth it when the beautiful design appears. Your stitches are beautiful. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! My great uncle passed away and he was a beautiful embroiderer (is that a word?). It was something his childeren treasured. I love your project and your stitches are lovely. It makes me happy to see people still doing projects like this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that yellow flower!! You are very talented!! I love fabric and handiwork too, but just no time made to do it. I decided a few years and a couple kids ago, that I wanted to learn how to do the primitive stitching that was so popular at the craft fairs I had been to. .I found a free pattern on the internet. .and loved that it was done so quickly. Someday. .I have a long list of things I am going to catch up on. .and making some cute things like that are on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that yellow flower turned out very nice! We haven't used that technique yet, but we sure will! We need to get back to doing our embroidery projects also. Your project looks lovely. Have a great 4th of July!

    Laura and Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool is TURKEY WORK?! Officially smitten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! How cute!!! I didn't know you did embroidery work. Very nice. I wish I could do that. Maybe some day. My grandma did it on pillowcases. The dandelion is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my, that dandelion is AWESOME! I've got to try that out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how crafty you are and wish I could bake the way you do one day.

    ReplyDelete