September 7, 2012

roasted red pepper wrap



Ohhhh  my stars in heaven.....this was the best wrap ever!!  
 ******
I was "mmmmmm'ing" from the first bite!! It totally  had-me-at-hello!  In fact, it was so good...I'm making it again for dinner tonight. It is simple, simple simple to make!  The most effort you will need to put forth is roasting the red peppers. That's not so bad, right?!

I roasted the peppers in my broiler drawer at the bottom of the oven...I put my broiler setting on high and checked on the peppers every 5 minutes or so. It took them about 15 or so minutes to get charred like this. After they are blackened, place them all in one ziploc bag to let them sweat and then cool. You can then easily peel off the charred skin.


Ok, on to the other ingredients: sliced tomato, sliced onion, romaine lettuce, and hummus.  I was actually going to make the hummus myself...but...I had been to 3 stores in this little county here, and could not find tahini...a key ingredient in hummus. I know where I can get it...but was running short on time...so I grabbed the pre-made hummus from the shelf at Wal Mart...looked at the ingredient list...and was pleasantly surprised.



Let me tell you....THIS IS THE BEST TASTING HUMMUS I HAVE EVER EATEN!!!!
It's by Cedars and it is the first time I tried this brand. It was only $2.50...total bonus! I've always eaten "Sabra" brand hummus and liked it just fine... but now...look out...I am in love with Cedars!


 So basically, you all know how to make a wrap...I used multi grain. I purchased these wraps, but I do want to make them from scratch some time.
 

 


So....just lay out your wrap, spread on some awesome garlicky hummus, layer fresh lettuce, sliced tomatoes,  cucumbers, a little red onion...and the most importantly....roasted red pepper!! Serious yum factor there! That's all there is to it. My husband loved this! He ate 2!!

My 14 year old son ate one....he ate the whole thing and never complained about all the veggies...he totally rocks....will eat anything now...unlike his little brother....who, had he been home for dinner, would not have touched this meal with a 10 foot pole!  LOL! Anyhow, I really hope you give this wrap a try....you will undoubtedly be happy you did!! Let me know!

 
  

 Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I just might have to make this tonight for supper. I have whole wheat wraps in the fridge right now...and red peppers...all I need is lettuce and red onion and I'm set. (thankfully there is a Walmart 3 miles away for the hummus!) I'm trying to "train" my kids to like whole wheat/whole grain things...but it's not worked so far. Maybe the 109th time will be a charm! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alica! I got my kids trained on the whole wheat grain thing when they were younger...soo it worked out kinda easy,,fortunately! whew! I just wanted to tell you...if you see this before you go to Wal Mart...or for anyone else out there reading...the hummus was not in the yogurt section, not in the cheese section or lunch meat section...it was in the refrigerated section right next to the deli...that has the pre made pizzas, pre made subs and sandwiches, potato salads, ..stuff like that...who knows if a11 Walmarts are the same...but anyhow...just wanted to let you know!

      Delete
    2. Bonnie...THAT. WAS. FABULOUS!!! Thank you for the recipe...my kids wrinkled their noses, but do I care? Sorry...no! :) I found the hummus, but our Walmart must carry different brands. No worries though, it was good!

      Delete
    3. A1ica, I'm s0 g1ad y0u rea11y 1iked it! That makes me happy!

      Delete
  2. I introduced myself to hummus when we did the around the world day camp theme. .it was delicious. .and Sabra was the brand we had too! I took a huge package to my family last weekend. .and they loved it too. .I wish I would have had a camera to snap everyone's picture when I told them it was garbanzo beans. .my little brother liked to choked!! They really did like it!! I finally found tahini at World Market, and have been trying to find time to make some myself too. .Once we get thru the second large tub from Sabra. .I will be trying that out. .I was going to use PW recipe, unless you have something better you want to share with us :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me1anie, I wi11 1et y0u kn0w when I make hummus fr0m scratch! I'm ready t0 experiment, I 10ve that stuff! I'11 have t0 check 0ut PW's recipe!

      Delete
  3. This is new to me to roast the peppers in the broiler. I usually do it in the flames on top of the stove. Same idea, I guess. The skin gets black, you put it in a bag to sweat and then easily peel it.

    Unfortunately I am allergic to peppers so I won't be trying this. But it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete